Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Koyasan...what a magical place!

I've just touched home base after 2 days in another world....the mountains of Koyasan! 
After a bus, 3 trains, a cable car and another bus, I made it to Shojoshin temple accommodation. You normally need an advance reservation but i worked my Japanese and scored a room! The reason for heading up to such an amazing place? To meet up with two guys both named Tim from OZ who are filming a travel show. They needed a hand with some translation so I did my bestest! The temple was situated next to a huge cemetery, it went for 1.6km!!! And the HUGE cedar trees blew my mind. Koyasan is home to the Shingon Buddhism introduced to Japan in the 9th Century. Such a spiritual zen like place and totally relaxing!
We enjoyed Shojin-Ryori, vegetarian feasts for both dinner and breakfast. And surprise surprise i made the early start (6am) for morning prayer. A must see, I can't recommend this place enough!





No comments:

Post a Comment