Wednesday, June 15, 2011

It's been 3 months since I left Japan (well almost!)

I can't freaking believe time has gone that fast! I think I've settled back into day to day Melbourne life which is definitely a good thing after experiencing some "re-entry culture shock" (I googled that haha). Things like forgetting where your pots and pans go in your own house 'cause you haven't lived there for 7 months, wandering the streets of Melbourne forgetting where to go, getting on the wrong tram going in the opposite direction you want to, feeling comforted when hearing Japanese being spoken and a bit puzzled when it isn't...I could go on! I struggled for a while, coming to terms with the life and friends I had left behind in Japan wasn't an easy feat but then thinking about the incredible experience I had made it all the easier to bear! The number one thing I have to be grateful of is my truly awesome husband Mick. To respect my decision to go and live out my dream whilst trying to hold back from saying "Please don't go" is such a selfless and amazing thing! He encouraged me in my times of doubt and always supported my decision 100%. That's why you marry people, he's my rock and always will be. Love you Mick!

So anyway, what a ramble but it had to be said!

On a side note, I've almost finished "The Art Of Happiness" - Conversations with the Dalai Lama. I do believe it's had a really positive effect on me. I usually consider myself quite a positive optimistic person but this big change in lifestyle in the last few months has tested me. But I'm finally getting my groove back and realising that you are the master of your own destiny, how you choose to see things is all up to you! It's hard to remember this when you get burdened with day to day crap but positivity will always reign supreme!

Some words from the great man himself:
One great question underlies our experience, whether we think about it or not: what is the purpose of life? From the moment of birth every human being wants happiness and does not want suffering. Neither social conditioning nor education nor ideology affects this. From the very core of our being, we simply desire contentment. Therefore, it is important to discover what will bring about the greatest degree of happiness.





No comments:

Post a Comment