Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Back in the land of OZ

I've now been back in Australia a week and I've begun to slowly adjust to day to day life Down Under.

Our last days in Japan were spent eating as much as humanly possible (Mick even grew a little food baby haha) and spending time with the awesome friends I had made in my 7 months living in Kyoto.  Izakaya's, Bars, Karaoke, Sashimi, Sushi train, Teppanyaki, Matcha Parfait, Maiko makeovers, you name it...we did it! PS - Mick has developed a serious love of karaoke, it's a real challenge to get the mic off him haha!

I had a fantastic 30th birthday in Kyoto which consisted of a delicious dinner at our favourite, Donguri followed by hours of karaoke! About half way through screaming "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana (awesome team effort!), I looked around the Joy Sound Karaoke Box and realised how damn lucky I am with the friends I have (both abroad and here in Australia). 

The events of the last couple of weeks in Japan did overshadow our holiday. You can't help but be moved by the constant news coverage, the tragic stories, the fundraising on every corner of Kyoto city. It truely breaks my heart, I can't comprehend the loss of loved ones in such circumstances. Japan is (and always will be) in my thoughts. 

On a brighter note....last Saturday Mick and I attended a Japan Benefit gig here in Melbourne by George Kamikawa aka "The Blues Cowboy" and his sidekick Noriko on Shamisen (a traditional Japanese instrument). The pub in which is was held was pumping, so much love and energy for Japan! They raised a good deal of money which makes me happy!

So things that are strange about being back:
  • Everyone speaks English! (I know...crazy but true!) 
  • The urge to remove my shoes as I enter the house
  • The casualness of customer service "Here ya go love" as opposed to lots of bowing and apologies. 
  • My automatic use of "Sumimasen" (Excuse Me / I'm sorry in Japanese) 
  • The Australian sun (what heat!)
  • TV in English 
  • Lots of green grass 
  • Seeing stars in the night sky
  • Cheaper fruit (but only slightly!)
  • Expensive Japanese food products (boo!) 
I could go on but those the differences I've noticed for now. 

Here are some photos of our last days in Japan...don't worry, I'll be back!
























3 comments:

  1. Hi Erin!
    Thanks for sharing and good to know all is going well back in Australia (and that people still speak English there!). We love you and miss you here so don't forget to come say hi when you can! :)
    Great pics btw. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seiko desu.
    Erin-san, Natsukashiiiiiii!! Genki?
    Blog de Erin san o mite uresikatta. Gosyujin mo mita! Futari de tanoshiku ne!! Nihon to nihongo wasurenaide ne. Please pray for Japan!
    Mata kakimasu. Ja, ne. Seiko (Costanza Condo. my italian name)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin and Mick!
    What's going on? How about new days in hometown?
    Thanks for sending this blog adress and nice photos.I remenbered funny time we shared in Kyoto.Keep in touch.Cheers!
    Takehiro

    ReplyDelete